Almond macaroons are delicious cookies that are perfect for breakfast or dessert. They are also very versatile because they can be baked into bars, filled with jam, or dipped in chocolate.
Almond macaroon recipes vary from country to country. In France, they are called Macarons aux amandes, In Italy, they are known as biscotti di mandorle. And in Spain, they are called bizcochos de almendra.
Almond macaroons are made everywhere around the world. Recipes and methods vary a lot, but they all have the same basic 3 ingredients: almonds, egg whites, and sugar.
The recipe below uses almond flour, egg whites, sugar, almond paste, and natural almonds.
How to make
We’ve rolled classic macaroons into slices of almond for extra texture and elegance.
Prep time: 20 minutes; Bake time: 18 minutes
- 1 tube or can (7 to 8 ounces) almond paste, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup of sliced natural almonds
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Evenly grease and dust a large cookie sheet.
In small bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat almond paste until crumbly. Add confectioners’ sugar and egg white; mix until well blended (the dough will be wet and sticky)
Place almonds on waxed paper. Using lightly floured hands, form dough into 1-inch spheres. Roll balls in almonds, gently pressing to coat. Place balls, 1 inch apart, on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake until golden, about 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer cookies onto wire racks to cool completely, using a wide spatula. Makes about 30 cookies (or however many you want)
Each cookie : About 50 calories, 1g protein, 5g carbohydrate, 3g total fat (0g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 3mg sodium.
- 1 Tube or can (7 to 8 ounces) Almond paste Cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Large egg white
- ½ cup Sliced natural almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Evenly grease and flour large cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat almond paste until crumbly. Add confectioners’ sugar and egg white; beat until well blended (dough will be wet and sticky).
- Place almonds on waxed paper. With lightly floured hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in almonds, gently pressing to coat. Place balls, 1 inch apart, on prepared cookie sheet. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. With wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 30 cookies.
Is there a substitute for almonds in macaroons?
You can use pumpkin seeds instead of almonds or almond flour in all macaroon recipes, but you need to use them in a one-to one ratio. If the recipe says to use almond flour, grind up the seeds in a food processor until fine.
What does almond flour do in macaroons?
Almond flour is used for making macaroons because it creates a smooth and velvety texture for the macaroon shell.
Can I use all purpose flour instead of almond flour in macaroons?
You can use all-purpose white flour instead of almond flour. However,the batter made with wheat flour will take way less time than with the regular almond flour we usually use.
Substitute with a ratio of 1:1(1 cup of all purpose flour for 1 cup of almond flour. )